Holiday Gratitude- Rachel
I always made a habit of making gratitude lists in early recovery and every time I call a certain experienced woman in my recovery circle, she “suggests” I begin doing it again. I will be honest with you, when she says it, I get annoyed. I get annoyed for the same reason I always get annoyed when I am suggested to do something that is good for me. Because I am being arrogant and thinking that the simple things are below me. You see, ladies, I am an over proud brat sometimes and keeping it simple is not my strong suit. So, I will be making daily gratitude lists every day for the rest of this YEAR. It doesn’t take long and I have so much to be grateful for. Especially the simple things.
• I am clean
• Hot coffee
• I have more love in my life than I can handle
• Feeling my feelings
• Julie, Amy, Lauren, and all of the Sober Mommies guest posters sharing their hearts with all of us
• Toddler language
• Hot water
• Food in my fridge
• My house is a home
• The addict who seeks a new way of life today
• The families that never gave up on us
• My windows have curtains on them, not dirty blankets
Have a safe holiday season. You deserve all of the love and care recovery has in store for you!
What are you grateful for?
Rachel has been in recovery since October 29, 2010, and she’s not afraid to speak out about it. She lives in Michigan with her husband and two daughters.